Orchids & Calla Lilies et l'amour
What you need:
- 1 fuschia Cymbidium orchid stem (cut 27.5")
- 1 bunch large Calla Lilies light pink (cut 16")
- 2 bunches Bear Grass 28-30 inches long (select longest bunches you can find.)
- 1 plate glass vase (found here)
- 4 medium Spider plants with 4 inch feeder stems attached
- 1 extra person to wrap the bind wire
- heavy duty scissor (99 cent store)
- sharp pruning shears (found here)
- green Oasis Bindwire (found here)
Flower Cost: $28.00
This arrangement looks extremely simple, but it is challenging to achieve the clean look. Heads up... you will need two people to put this arrangement together. Don't think, "Oh, I can manage." That's what I thought. I highly recommend finding an extra pair of hands. I used my husband's. You will use a special type of wire called bindwire (found here). It is paper wrapped and has a waxy feel to it. Here are some does and don't for you to remember:
1. Bear Grass can give you paper cuts if you run your hand along it's edges. I get one almost every time I use it. Don't tell anyone.
2. When you bind the flowers inside the top of the Bear Grass, this must be done with the flowers in the vase or you will pop the centers off the cymbidium blooms. Oh no. I've never done that.
3. Get your flowers in exactly the position you want them in before binding them. You can not adjust them after binding. Oh no, I've never done that either.
4. The stems of the Calla Lilies break easily. I may have done that once.
5. When wrapping the bindwire around the Bear Grass, leave 2 loose ends that you can double knot. (Don't be tempted to simply twist the pieces of bindwire together. It won't hold.) Take my word for it.
OK. Now that I've scared you to death, if you have your supplies and extra pair of hands, let's begin.